Chocolatey, fluffy muffins filled with silky smooth salted caramel?!?! Ok, these are a huge winner over here! Since the muffins aren't overly sweet, the tasty salted caramel filling is a perfect edition to this treat. Choose gluten-free oat flour for a completely gluten-free recipe.
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
1 large egg
¼ cup coconut oil, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 scoop ARO chocolate protein powder
1/3 cup oat flour
½ cup almond meal flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ cup xylitol
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
Salted Caramel Filling
½ cup medjool dates (about 6), pitted
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup water
¼ teaspoon vanilla
Optional Topping: mini chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Whisk together the first 4 ingredients until smooth. Add the remainder of muffin ingredients to wet ingredients and stir until well combined.
3. Evenly divide muffin batter among 8 cupcake liners.
4. Bake in the oven for 22-26 minutes, or until center is cooked. Let cool.
5. To make the salted caramel, combine all filling ingredients in a small saucepan over low to medium heat. Heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Pour filling ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
7. When muffins are cooled, remove center of each muffin and fill with salted caramel filling. Serve and enjoy!
Makes 8 servings
1 serving is 1 muffin with filling
Macros for 1 serving
232 calories, 7.2g protein, 33.6g carbs, 12.4g fat, 11.6g sugar, 4.6g fiber