I'm not sure why I never thought of making a protein version of a basic yellow cake. You see yellow cake everywhere because it's so common. What is great about my version is it is healthier than the typical yellow cake AND mine has no artificial colors with an added bonus of protein. Nope. No food coloring. The yellow color comes from the pureed carrots and red palm oil, which both add richness and decadence to the cake. Enjoy!
3 egg whites
2 tablespoons red palm oil, melted
¼ cup carrot puree
2 tablespoons almond milk
1 scoop ARO vanilla whey protein powder
2/3 cup oat flour
¼ cup almond meal flour
¼ cup Vitacost coconut sugar (or sweetener of choice)
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ cup low fat cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons plain greek yogurt
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons Vitacost honey (or agave)
1 stevia packet
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a mini 6” round cake pan with cooking spray.
2. Combine egg whites, red palm oil, carrot puree, and almond milk in a mixing bowl and whisk until smooth.
3. Add protein powder, almond meal flour, oat flour, coconut sugar, & baking powder to the mixing bowl and stir until batter is completely smooth.
4. Pour batter into cake pan and smooth down with a spoon.
5. Bake in the oven for 18-22 minutes, or until top is golden brown & center is cooked completely. Let the cake cool while you make the icing.
6. Whisk all icing ingredients together and spoon on top of cooled cake. Slice into 8 pieces and serve immediately.
Makes 8 servings
1 serving is 1 slice
Macros for 1 serving
177 calories, 8.2g protein, 18.9g carbs, 7.9g fat, 9.5g sugar, 1.7g fiber
* For the carrot puree, I used canned baby carrot food. You can also steam and puree your own carrots.
* To ensure the cake doesn’t fall apart, I allow the cake to cook in the pan for about 20 minutes before removing it.
* You can substitute the red palm oil with coconut oil. I recommend the red palm oil since it takes on a buttery flavor and also adds to the yellow color of the cake.