Forget those high calorie, high sugar, and high fat scones commonly seen at coffee shops and breakfast bakeries! These perfectly healthy scones will start your day right with flavors of sweet potato, sweet vanilla, and warm spices. Enjoy them at breakfast, as a snack, or as a nightcap treat.
1½ cup whole wheat flour
1 cup almond meal flour
2 scoops Lean Body for Her vanilla whey protein powder
½ cup xylitol
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup coconut oil
2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
2/3 cup cooked mashed sweet potatoes, mashed
¼ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
½ scoop Lean Body for Her vanilla whey protein powder
2-4 tablespoons milk
dash of ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Combine the first 10 ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
3. Add coconut oil and applesauce to the bowl of dry ingredients and, using a large fork or pastry knife, cut and stir until mixture is crumbly.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together sweet potatoes, egg, and milk. Spoon this mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients and stir together until well combined.
5. Form the dough into a ball and place on a flat, well-floured surface. Pat dough down and form a 1-inch thick rectangle (you’ll want to add flour to your hands as well to prevent the dough from sticking to your hands).
6. Using a knife, evenly cut dough into 14 triangles. Place each triangle onto sheet pan and bake in the oven for 10-14 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.
7. Let scones cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
8. Whisk together the icing ingredients and drizzle on each scone. Enjoy!
Makes 14 servings
1 serving is 1 scone with icing
Macros for 1 serving
192 calories, 8.6g protein, 22g carbs, 9.5g fat, 2.1g sugar, 3.5g fiber