I was given the opportunity to try a new brand of brown rice penne pasta - so I decided to add a boat load of veggies and some chicken to create this one dish meal. This recipe has your carbs, protein, and healthy fats, so what more could you need?! I was pleasantly surprised with how the pasta turned out once I cooked it then baked it. And I'll tell you something else - it was even better the next day!
1 zucchini, cut into small cubes
1 onion, peeled and cut into small strips
2 red bell peppers, cored and cut into small strips
¼ cup Tuscan herb olive oil
2 tablespoons dried Italian seasoning (salt-free)
2 (6 oz.) packages of ready-to-eat artichoke hearts
4 cups chopped spinach
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 lb. brown rice penne pasta
1 (28.2 oz.) canned no salt added diced tomatoes
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked and shredded
1½ cup grated Parmesan, divided
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Toss together the zucchini, onion, and peppers with the olive oil and Italian seasoning. Place this mixture on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 16 minutes.
3. Cook your pasta in a large pot for about 6 minutes. Drain the pasta and set aside.
4. When your vegetables are done roasting, gently combine the pasta with the roasted veggies, artichoke hearts, spinach, salt, pepper, canned tomatoes, chicken, and 1 cup of parmesan cheese.
5. Spoon the pasta in a 9x13” baking dish. Top with the remaining ½ cup Parmesan cheese.
6. Bake in the oven for 20-22 minutes, or until top is golden brown and cheese has melted.
Makes 8 servings
1 serving is about 1½ cups of pasta
Macros for 1 serving
422 calories, 23.9g protein, 52.1g carbs, 12.8g fat, 3.9g sugar, 4.3g fiber
* I cooked the chicken in a crockpot the day before. Place 1 pound of chicken breast in a crockpot with ¼ cup water or chicken broth. Cook on high for 4 hours then shred the chicken.