Have you ever had a really good homemade limeade in the summertime? It is heaven on earth. Since the summer has hit full swing, I wanted to make a healthy version of one of my all-time favorite summer treats. I always love berries and citrus flavors together which is why I choose this flavor combination. The cake-like texture of these bars along with the pops of blackberry make this treat scrumptious! To add a little yummy coolness, add your favorite vanilla ice-cream or frozen yogurt on top :) I hope you enjoy these as much as I do.
Blackberry Limeade Protein Cake Bars
4 egg whites
¼ cup plain greek yogurt
3 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
3 tablespoons lime juice
1 cup chopped blackberries, divided
2 tablespoons all-natural cashew butter
1½ scoops ARO vanilla whey protein powder
¾ cup almond meal flour
1¼ cup whole-wheat pastry flour (or oat flour)
1/3 cup Vitacost xylitol (or granulated sweetener of choice)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a 9x9” baking dish with parchment paper.
2. Combine egg whites, yogurt, milk, ½ cup blackberries, & cashew butter in a blender or food processor. Blend until completely smooth.
3. Add protein powder, almond meal flour, oat flour, xylitol, & baking powder to a mixing bowl. Stir together.
4. Pour liquid ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and stir until well combined. Stir in remainder ½ cup of blackberries into batter.
5. Pour batter into baking dish and smooth down with a spoon.
6. Bake in the oven for 25-28 minutes, or until top is golden brown. Slice into 16 squares and serve immediately.
Makes 16 servings
1 serving is 1 square
Macros for 1 serving
109 calories, 5.9g protein, 14.7g carbs, 4g fat, 1g sugar, 2.5g fiber
* If you’re not a fan of limeades or lime juice, substitute the lime juice with lemon juice to give you blackberry lemonade cake bars.
* For an easy limeade glaze, mix together powdered sugar, protein powder and lime juice and spread on top of bars.