I know. Cornmeal? It kinda of sounds weird. But trust me on this one. It reminds me of that sweet, delectable cornbread that almost tastes like a cake. They're thick, fluffy, sweet, and pack on just the right amount of cornmeal to make you smile. I am moving today, so I made these yesterday with some ingredients I had not packed yet. I love doing that. Not writing out a recipe and just seeing where the ingredients take me. Needless to say, these were a pleasant surprise. Emjoy!
1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or oat flour)
½ scoop vanilla protein powder
2 Tbsp. gluten-free cornmeal
2 tsp. Nutiva coconut sugar
¼ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. vanilla extract
1 whole egg
¼ cup almond milk (or milk of choice)
1. Whisk together vanilla extract, egg, and milk.
2. Add in remainder of pancake ingredients and stir until smooth.
3. Heat a skillet on the stovetop over medium heat. Spray skillet with cooking spray.
4. Spoon about 3 Tbsp. pancake batter onto skillet and cook until golden brown on each side. Make 5 pancakes total.
4. Let pancakes cook and finish off with desired toppings.
* I topped mine with cinnamon roll coconut butter, mandarin orange segments, white chocolate chips, vanilla quark yogurt, and sprinkles.